Accomplished, product-focused technology leader with 15+ years of experience building and managing high-performing, collaborative engineering teams in rapidly growing tech organizations. Demonstrated success in diverse environments, from early stage startups to large corporations, with deep expertise in software development, devops and infrastructure management, along with an extensive background in sports technology, EdTech, and other mission-focused tech sectors. Excellent reputation as a mentor and developer of talent, cross-functional collaborator, and articulate technical leader who not only understands what makes customers happy, but knows how to successfully deliver.
Likely the only technology executive who is also a National Hockey League PA Announcer, improv comedian, pro wrestling ring announcer, and ice hockey player/goalie.
Engineering Team Management
Product Principal - Dualboot Partners
2020 - Present
Product lead and fractional CTO to Dualboot's clients, working with our designers, developers, and QA to deliver great software.
Head of Engineering - Custom Communications Inc.
2017 - 2020
Reporting to the CEO, lead a globally distributed team of developers, building applications to streamline & automate both the operations of field service technicians and relationships with multiple data providers. Instituted new processes to increase developer happiness and business value, dramatically increasing time to delivery, system performance, and reputation of engineering team to rest of the organization. Overhauled dev team through strategic hiring and performance management actions to improve internal collaboration and drive results.
● Project: Working with business stakeholders & developers in the US and Ukraine, stabilized & improved , the company's custom-built internal logistics software, through automation and refactoring key areas to make them more flexible. Results: Within 6 months, reduced average time for feature deployment from 8 weeks to 2-3 days, automated 80% of manual work order claims and reduced need for call center staff by 60%.Enabled job counts per day to grow by 3x, without an increase in operations and call center staff. Moved key provider metrics (on-time arrival, customer satisfaction, NPS) to number one compared with peer companies.
● Methodologies: Kanban.
● Tech Stack: Ruby on Rails, AWS, Ansible, Redis, Sidekiq, PostgreSQL, Ubuntu Linux, Jira, CircleCI, CodeClimate, Jira, Slack, Github, PeriscopeData.com.
Product Manager - NBC SportsEngine
2016 - 2017
Reporting to the Director of Product, oversaw web & mobile product development focused on teams, coaches, players and parents. Built & led global, cross-functional product team (developers, product owners, UI, QA), collaborating extensively with Engineering/UI, Sales, Support, Marketing, and Executive teams to align around a compelling, delightful roadmap. Led a team of two additional Product Owners.
● Project: To accelerate team software, built, proposed and received $8M approval for first out-of-budget-cycle corporate investment designed to accelerate growth, streamline product lines and refocus on mobile apps. Hired additional staff and designed a more compelling product roadmap to incorporate Sales-friendly features, revised scheduling and integrated calendaring. Results: New versions of mobile app enabled Sales to close more deals with larger customers and received positive user feedback, with a 25% increase in mobile engagement.
● Methodologies: Scrum.
● Tech Stack: Native iOS and Android, Ruby on Rails, Jira.
Founding Team, CTO - TeamSnap
2006 - 2014
As part of the founding team, grew product from an interesting side project into a worldwide industry leader in the sports management space. Built Engineering from 4 part-time developers to a team of 15+ . Worked extensively with external technology partners and evaluating options for integration. Built API developer community, innovated compelling product features and originated the company’s voice on social media.
● Project: Conceived, oversaw, and delivered the company's first mobile apps. Wrote APIs, hired contract developers to assist in build, and led creation of companion Android app. Results: With 100,000+ installs within the first quarter and 30,000+ active users immediately after launch, the app became company's central product, eclipsing the web app, rates 4+ stars in app stores, and is now considered the gold standard for team management mobile apps.
● Methodologies: Kanban.
Ruby on Rails
Get The Resume
The College of William & Mary
B.S., Computer Science
Received my B.S. in Computer Science from the nation's second-oldest university. Worked on the school newspaper The Flat Hat all four years as a writer, Features Page editor, and Opinions editor. Created the first online presence for both The Flat Hat and the William & Mary Athletics Department.